RU ID Information for Retirees and Guests

Guest ID Card Process Guide 

Visitors and other Rutgers University guests, University Hospital guests, and Robert Wood Johnson Medical School guests can find information regarding obtaining a Rutgers University Guest ID below.

Obtaining a Rutgers University Guest ID Card

Rutgers visitors and other university guests who require a Rutgers ID card  for use of authorized privileges must first be listed as a Guest in the university's Registry (database). ID Cards for visiting scholars are issued for a period of up to one year, after which they must be renewed by submitting an updated request form, turning in the expired card, and paying the associated fee.

To become a guest in the university's Registry, your sponsoring department must submit a Guest Role/NetID request form. 

All sponsoring departments should visit:

Questions regarding the guest sponsorship process should be directed to the OIT Help Desk as stated on the above webpage.

Once the Guest Role/NetID is established,  the individual may upload a photo online via the online submission portal:
 The individual can then visit an ID Card Office to have a card issued to them.  They must present the following:

1)   Guest ID Request Form signed by their dean director or unit head.



Upon retirement, Retirees will receive a letter from University Human Resources (UHR) explaining how to get a Retiree RU ID card. Retiree RU ID cards can only be issued once this letter is presented from University Human Resources.

To obtain a Retiree RU ID card:

  • Retired status must be verified in the HCM system (Contact Human Resources or visit the following link for more information .
  • Submit a photo online using the link  . You will receive an email confirmation when the photo is approved.  Only then should you visit the RU ID service center to pick up your RU ID card.
  • Present the letter from UHR at an RU ID card service center on the starting date or any day after the retirement date.
  • Employee must return the former Faculty/Staff RU ID card.
  • Employee has the option to use the current picture on file or upload a new picture by following photo submission link on the UHR website.


Other Rutgers Affiliated Individuals

Individuals associated with certain organizations or departments such as as campus ministries, ROTC, NJ PIRG, etc  may request a special Guest or Affiliate Card. Please contact the department head or university liaison for information about how to be sponsored for an ID card.

University Hospital-Newark Guest Passes

If Rutgers employees have a business need to enter locations designated as University Hospital facilities, they may request access from Shelley Edmonds-Lee at In your email, please indicate what locations in UH facilities you need access to as well as the individuals you are requesting for that location. For example:
Location: UH C Level Dental Clinic
Names for Location: Jane Doe

Rutgers new hires and new students may obtain a UH guest card at the UH Call Center, located in Room A-104. Hours of operation for ID card production are currently 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

RWJUH Guest Passes

Rutgers new hires and new students may obtain a Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH) guest card at the RWJUH-Security Office, located in G2 Bristol Myers Squibb Children’s Hospital. Hours of operation for ID card production are currently 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Individuals with questions regarding guest cards or that need additional access assigned to their guest cards may reach the Security Office by phone at 732-937-8644